Friday, June 22, 2012

June 21, 2012: Mr. Kennington

Normally, with this blog, I do not name people. I normally remain intentionally vague about identities and such things.
Today is different. Today I am blogging about a specific person that I want everyone on the planet to know about.

Mr. Kennington.

This man is one of the most wonderful people I have had the good fortune to meet in my life.
The previous headmaster of my previous high school, I only really spoke with him a few times. But he knew who I was. He always asked about how I was doing, and I could always tell that he genuinely cared.

He also, with the help of my tenth grade English teacher, helped me learn to love Shakespeare's works. No one loves Shakespeare as much Mr. K. I can't even fathom the idea of a person more passionate about the Bard than Justin Kennington. His passion is inspiring. It allowed curiosity to build in the minds of students (particularly mine), making us wonder how. How can a simple playwright born hundreds of years ago whose words are often harder to understand than an ogre talking in his sleep be all that wonderful?

I don't know how to answer that question. It still doesn't quite make sense to me. But I have learned to love Shakespeare regardless.


Words, words, words...

I seem to be rambling a bit. Allow me to try and get back on track.



Mr. K.


Great man.


I was very sorry to hear he had been let go.
  
I wonder what on Earth could have made the Karl G. Maeser Preparatory Academy school board think that the man who gave their school identity and spirit; the man who did more personally to help that school become the great place it was, was no longer needed.

Mr. Kennington, you remain in my prayers.

You convinced me to attend the school you were headmaster of, where I made numerous friends and learned to think, as well memorize.

You inspired me to read the works of the Bard, and my life has forever been changed because of it.

You helped me get into theatre, the world in which I now refuse to leave on most days.

I am and always will be grateful for you and the impact you had on my life.

Thank you.

1 comment: